Coeliac disease (also known as the 'allergic to pasta' disease. Can also be written as Celiac) is an intestinal disorder that results from an allergy to gluten.
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley and a very small amount in oats.
This allergy causes gluten to be poorly digested which then irritates the lining of the small intestinal and prevents the body from breaking down and absorbing food nutrients properly.
The constant gut lining irritation causes damage to the mucous membrane and intestine lining over time.
Some causes of Celiac disease are ...
- Food intolerance
- Food allergy
- Long term use of some medicines
- A Bacteria or Viral infection
- Poor diet
- Long term laxative usage
- Intestinal infections
- Protein deficiency
- Long term antibiotic use
- Lack of digestive enzymes
- Excessive stress can also cause flare ups
Some symptoms of Celiac disease include ...
- Gas / wind / flatulence
- Skin rashes
- Bloating in the gut
- Abdominal swelling
- Abdominal pain & irritability
- Weight loss
- Tongue & mouth ulcers
- Low energy
- Low blood pressure
- Lactase deficiency
- Joint pains
Many of these signs may come and go but normally increase after a meal..
Most people with coeliac disease become symptom-free when excluding foods containing gluten.
Probiotics, digestive enzymes & various herbs are used by many Naturopaths practitioners to help the patients to maintain an efficient digestive and intestinal system which in turn helps to reduce gut lining irritation.
Due to the poor absorption of nutrients associated with this condition, a high potency MultiVitamin & Multi Mineral supplement should be taken daily to safeguard against long term deficiencies..
* Also read the Irritable Bowel Syndrome page for further information.
- Eliminate gluten from your diet.
- Improve the digestive process.
- Maintain correct bowel flora (favourable bacteria in the colon)
- Increase nutrient intake
- Digestive Enzymes
- EPA & DHA (Omega 3 fish oils)
- Probiotics e.g. Acidophilus & Bifidophilus
- Slippery Elm herb
- Vitamin C
- Aloe Vera