Metabolism / The Metabolic Rate
This is the name given to the chemical process which take place in living organisms. The metabolism can be termed Anabolic and Catabolic.
- Anabolic occurs when smaller molecules are turned into larger molecules.
- Catabolic is the reverse process i.e. large molecules are broken down into smaller ones.
Metabolism results in ...
- Energy is produced for the body's vital activities
- Elimination of waste matter
- Old cells are replaced by new cells
- many other functions
The metabolism is dependant upon a chemical interaction promoted by enzymes. A wide range of illness may follow metabolic disturbance from debility to hyperactivity. In such cases, attention to the liver, digestive organs and endocrine glands is required to rebalance the body metabolism.
The Metabolic Rate
This is the amount of energy released or expanded in a given unit of time. Many people have naturally efficient and fast metabolic rates and remain slim throughout their lives without giving much thought to excessive exercise and strict diet.
However, most people tend to gain weight as they get older. This is a result of less exercise, a natural slow down of the metabolic rate and poor diet / food intake.
Herbalists use a range of herbs to stimulate the body metabolism and metabolic rate such as ...
- Citrus Aurantium (Bitter Orange)
- Yerba Mate
- Cayenne pepper
- Dandelion root
- Kelp / Iodine
- Devil's Claw
- Bee Pollen
- Prickly ash
- Wild Yam
The body metabolism and metabolic rate.